Friday, September 15, 2006

Walking Funny Today

Today there was a stiffness in my lower back that did't go away. I walked all over school gingerly like an old man. Just when I take five or six comfortable steps, my back would seize up again. The worst were stairs, pain at every step. I taught most of my class sitting in a chair; no big deal, I gave a quiz.

I tried to walk it off, didn't work. Stretch it off, didn't work.

Luckily it was a short day, so I was able to rest, go home after classes and take a Tylonol/codeine pill that was prescribed to me for my kidney biopsy a couple weeks ago. The codeine does the trick for a couple of hours, but then the pain comes back. The best, most therapeutic place so far has been the driver's seat of my car; after I drive for a while, it feels better.

Now I'm home, and I think I'm going to bed.

I didn't lift anything! There was no straining! All I know is that my coworker today, the one that farted in class, offered to carry my bag to my car for me.

Last night, as I was blogging, I had a monster cramp in the arch of my right foot, which is odd, because it might be the seventh muscle cramp I've ever experineced in my life. Do I need potassium? Of course I do, I'm taking a water pill to lower my bp. No wonder I have been craving baked potatoes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lower back pain sucks. I've been living with is for nearly 30 years now. I don't know what causes mine, and my doctor says there's really no point in MRIs, etc., as long as I can move. I've found that regular exercise, stretching, and constant vigilence about lifting, etc., allow me to keep it under control. Not what you wanted to hear, I suppose. For acute care a good massage therapist can do wonders. Good luck.