Saturday, November 25, 2006

Black Friday 2006


H stayed the night, I woke up at the sound of her loud-ass footsteps in the kitchen. We had some leftovers for breakfast, doing some critical analysis of the macy's parade. H wanted to stay in and watch MTV, but somehow I convinced her to go couch shopping.

We stopped at her place to pick up some contact solution; she put on every sweater and coat she owns. We drove past Red Mill Burgers (too busy!) and then we parked at Dania on Roosevelt. Ok, we stopped in Whole Foods for a cheese sample and an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie.

We went into Dania, found the exact couch I wanted, and then Josh told me they were backlogged and could get it to me by February. Screw that!

We hopped in the car and went to the furniture district on Western Avenue. We went into all the furniture stores.... ten of them? Saw all kinds of couches. Hmph. Ended up at the Western Ave. Dania, and asked them for the couch I wanted... and Jason's answer was February. Grr!

So then Jason told me to look at a different couch... I liked it, and told Jason to sell it to me before I changed my mind. His answer was, ok, it won't be until December 22. Grrr! My folks will be coming on the 20th. Grr. So I told him I'd think about it.

H and I had a lovely snack at the Salmon Cooker, which is where I'm taking my parents when they come to visit. Shoot, I might go back for lunch tomorrow. We shared a salmon and chips, which was cooked in a hot smoker, and was DELICIOUS for less than $7. We also shared a cup of chowder and four oyster shooters. "Don't put a bunch of shit on our oysters," says H, and they came to our table in little plastic cups with a squirt of fresh lemon.

After that we went to Cost Plus. Didn't find any couches there. H mocked my idea of buying christmas stockings for the family. We bought some chocolate popcorn balls and a box of chocolates to satisfy the parking validation requirement.

Then we went to 老四川 restaurant for 20 steamed dumplings and ants on a tree. There were at least three big tables having fire pots. This restaurant is awesome. Anyway, it was just another snack.

After that, we went up to Broadway to shop for the 2006 Brown Elephant Party. I don't think I've ever gone shopping on Broadway, at least not since college. Fifteen years ago, Broadway was a great walk with tons of people--I remember my dad exclaiming, "it's like Manila!" but it's had a downturn in the late 90s early 2000s. Anyway, it wasn't as crowded as it used to be in the early 90s, but it was still pretty fun tonight. The little boutiques were all doing 40% to 50% discounts. In Urban Outfitters I decided that I would buy the December 22nd couch, but I didn't call Jason back then, because it was time to go to the movie.

We saw Almodóvar's Volver. It was great. It's funny all the characters were working under the table; the one character that had a legitimate job didn't have a single line, and was a producer for a trashy Jerry Springer style talk show.

Came home, ate leftovers, read Jacob's brilliant, brilliant, brilliant recap of BSG Hero.

Oh, the elephant. He was walking up and down Broadway, handing out menus and cupons for Thai Go, and was happy to take pictures with both H and I.

Tomorrow, I will order my couch.

No comments: