Wednesday, October 04, 2006

It's a take home quiz. Duh.

I went to my new 中文 class today. The instructor seems like a nice guy, but he spent too much time telling us how to say stuff, and not enough time actually letting us say stuff. A few times, he asked "how do you say this?" but we had to interrupt him when we actually wanted to say something. We'll see how it goes. It's going to be a challenge getting homework done, since I'm so slammed at work.

______

In August I gave my students a list of all the dates when there would be quizzes and exams. Today was a quiz, and the students complained I didn't warn them. Oh hell no. Well, today I did give them a quiz, and it was a 24-hour take home quiz.

The thing about take home quizzes, and come to think of it, all homework, is that they have the opportunity to talk to each other, use dictionaries, verb books, spell check... if I give a take home quiz, the isht better be off the hook.

Oh it won't be. American students are lazy.

Once I gave a French class a take home quiz, and most of them flunked. Except for the transfer student from Sweden, who got 100%. When people said, hey how did you.... and she said, what? It's a take home quiz. As in, duh, why wouldn't you get 100% on a take home quiz.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My 中文 class is similar. There's no time for talking, so I feel like I'm actually getting worse even though I know more words and grammar than I used to.