Thursday, October 05, 2006

Faculty Book Club Night

I just gave midterms in two classes today, so I have a stack of those to grade, as well as the creative writing stack from a while ago. There's an overnight retreat this weekend, and my choir workshop is next weekend, so I have to notate a bunch of stuff so that copies can be made, etc.

After school we made a bunch of candles; we got off around five. I came home, turned right around to go to book club. I stopped for secret chicken along the way.

The food was delicious; a pumpkin soup, a hot artichoke dip, an amazing salad with blue cheese, diced apples and nuts, and secret chicken. There was also brounie bites, baklava, and plenty of vino.

The conversation was sparkling as always; we talked about faculty karaoke possibilities, this blog, Italian class (A has discovered a new place to take classes) etcetera, etcetera.

We picked out our next book and meeting night, and then I excused myself. I am feeling the first tickles of the cold that's been going around. And I'm exhausted.

So when I got home, I took some Airborne (please don't tell me it's a placebo, I'm happy to settle for the placebo effect) and then irrigated my sinuses (i.e., I snorted a couple of handfulls of warm salt water.

No classes tomorrow... but I do have to get up early for Faculty Retreat. For once my department is not planning it. Last year a guy sang a touching song about a coyote he saw one night while driving home. I know it will be nothing like that tomorrow. I don't know much more than that, except that I ordered the steak salad for lunch.

Update: Two things before dozing off....

I'm tired of hearing how Democrats are weak on security. Just because we want to preserve civil liberties and did not want to start a land war in Asia doesn't make us weak on security. The Republicans, however, are quantifiably weak on FREEDOM. And, well, morality.

Also, Janey, you are the light of the world, you are the image of God, you are the Holiest of Holies. You deserve love and respect in your life. Don't settle for less. Go on, girl!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you have no idea how much that means to me...I need some good faculty karaoke about now. Or something equally as full of ridicule. J.