Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Low Point in the Blogging Cycle.

We've all been there. Interesting stuff happens, but we're too busy to blog, or it just feels like a chore to have to put something out there.

Last week was the awful shooting at the Jewish Federation in Belltown. There's two directions I'm thinking about following. The first is that whole "Fight 'em over there, so we don't have to fight 'em over here." The second is how the shooter had been baptized christian, a fact that sends that pangit Malkin grasping at straws (sorry, I refuse to link to that diseased gorilla). Something tells me she's not so hard on Mel Gibson's anti-semitic tirade..... Sure, he didn't shoot anyone, but you have to admit, we're talking about degrees of hatred; the hatred itself is not in question.

One of my classmates in Chinese class loves to make jokes about communism, and how funny it is. Our laoshi is not always find it funny, and today when it started to get weird, my other classmate started reading out loud from the textbook. I love that class! I'm sad that it's coming to an end.

I just want to do my Chinese homework and play my computer game. I don't want to face the orthodontist (I'm totally about to get braces again). I want the re-fi to be finished. I'm coming to a crossroads in my "music" career, suddenly big opportunities but no inspiration. The school year is about to start again; time to get into the 'stance.' I missed half a blood pressure pill last night. Sigh.

Well, if you ever needed to be reminded of American air superiority, you should come to Seattle this week. The Blue Angels are screaming across the sky all this week, to the delight of all of us, right? Just think, in some parts of the world that sound means death from above! We're so powerful.

I'm toying with the idea of writing about how to successfully learn a language. It might actually be a list of terrible habits that keep people from learning. If language learning is an instinct (and it is), then it may be more helpful to look at the ways people manage to sabotage that instinct.

2 comments:

changeseeker said...

No question, John. As a lingually-challenged person who is both frustrated and embarrassed by it, I'd appreciate any tips you could offer.

And I'm so feeling you on the Blue Angels. All my life, I've had deja vu type flashbacks whenever I'm in the presence of "troops," fighter planes, tanks (even disabled ones, like in a park). Such displays stir up some kind of free-floating anxiety I've never understood. Maybe it's natural.

Delia Christina said...

i had the same feeling over 4th of July weekend. i was in a lake town in Michigan and the Blue Angels were there. every time they screamed past, all of us on the deck would jump out of our skins; soon we were tense just waiting for them to do another run.

i thought then, this is what it's like for other people - but worse.