Thursday, April 05, 2007

Semi-anonymity, hairy backs, and language panic.

When people you know read your semi-anonymous blog, it is wierd. I have met people who were annoyed by my embarassment upon finding out that they were reading; not surprisingly, these were people who don't recognize that I'm always right. Ha.

But, to be clear, semi-anonymous or not: I have an opinion, and I am free in this country to express it. And yes, my opinion is often that some students and some parents are self-important, over-entitled brats whose behavior is often morally, legally, and educationally incorrect. And when I say "educationally incorrect" what I really mean is STUPID. Yes. I said it. Yes. Some parents and students exhibit STUPID behavior.

As a rule, I don't blog about students or their parents. I blog about coworkers as little as possible. But I do not apologize for the times when it may seem that I do not like the students or the parents. When it seems like I don't like them, it is because I DO NOT LIKE THEM. Do they want me to like them? Then they should act LIKABLE. It is not my job to like the people who are unlikable.

So there.
______

Click here if you have a hairy back.
______

In other news, I have bought my ticket to Hangzhou. I've decided that instead of pushing myself over 48 hours to get the cheapest possible flight, that I will do a 20 hour layover in Seoul.
I will stay in a hotel, eat Korean food, sleep in a bed, and shower in the morning.

My original plan had been to arrive in Hangzhou a couple days earlier and to chill out for a while, but then I experienced something I haven't experienced since I first landed in Paris 14 years ago: language panic. I know I am way way too cool to give in to language panic, but listen, I have high blood pressure now. I don't want to get into a taxi with all my gear, point to a printout of a hotel I may or may not like.

I promise, this is the first and last time I will have language panic when it comes to Mandarin.

No comments: