Friday, January 19, 2007

Star Trek, Oysters, Apple Pie à la mode

I am sitting on my couch, eating Ben & Jerry's American Pie ice cream and watching an episode of Voyager. It's very important nowadays to be conversant in trekese. Thanks, Angry Asian Man.

Finals week is over now, so for the next few days my life is about grading. But for now, I'm going to relax. I've been busting my hump lately preparing for a big retreat next week, and getting exams ready... and I'm tired. So tonight, I'm not doing nothing.

When I got home, there were contractors in my house, trying to figure out my leak situation. They had sent two colors of water down in separate sections, to try to find the source of the leak, and apparently the green colored water leaked into my basement, suggesting that the leak is to the left of the drain pipe. The bad news is, they still don't know where the water is entering from, and they said they that some of the test water is still standing out there. They left me the shop vac just in case some more green water came in.

I think this weekend I will invite my cowsins over and buy a couple dozen oysters. I've grown up eating oysters from Puget Sound, and I'm starting to realize I don't eat them enough. And I'm pretty sure we have the best oysters. It's so odd to me that a) so many people don't know how to appreciate, much less shuck, an oyster, and b) that they're so expensive. Dickens once wrote that poverty and oysters always seem to go together. Well, I like oysters, so I hope the relationship between poverty and oysters is not causal either way.

American Pie ice cream is delicious, by the way. It's like ice cream à la mode!

No comments: