Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Life is Wonderful

I had a dream that a contractor came over, and brought his daughter with him because he didn't have child care. She was eleven or twelve.

The contractor had to take off for a while, asked if it was ok if the daughter hung out with me for a while. Sure, I said, no problem. He took off, and she stayed, but soon she was crying. What's wrong, I asked, and she said that she was worried because he had such a high fever. I had noticed that he was looking under the weather, so I told the girl to call her dad, tell him to take her home, and then take care of himself.

The girl agreed to call, but after a few minutes I realized she was distracting herself, milling around, going through her stuff . . . doing everything but calling. She's scared, I thought, so I took out my cell phone and said, don't worry, I'm calling him right now.

She started screaming and trying to force me into a corner. "I am going to kill you" she screamed, "I am going to kill all three of us! You are going to die!" At this point, she's throwing stuff at me, whatever she can find. Of course, it's my house, so 'whatever she can find' means laundry. She did manage to find a sliding closet door, which she detached and dropped on me.

I managed to get away from her and run upstairs easily enough. As I ran upstairs I dialed 911 on my cell phone. I called, and it was a wrong number, 947. What? I dialed again, 911, but the numbers on the screen showed 947. By this point, I'm upstairs, and she has stayed downstairs, shreiking and crying. I decide to lock myself in the upstairs bedroom, and try to call 911. I am dialing it correctly, why does it keep saying 947?

Why? Because they have reprogrammed my phone. The daughter has flushed me out of the downstairs, and the dad is waiting for me, probably just outside my front door. She's probably robbing my stuff downstairs, while the dad is waiting outside to clobber me (or worse) so that they can have the whole house to themselves.

I wake up. 4:30 am. I thought about the song "Life is Wonderful" by Jason Mraz, and how I was too panicked in my dream to think of my options.

It's now 5:00 am and I'm not really sleepy. But my back hurts, so I'm going to go lie down for an hour.

No comments: