Thursday, August 10, 2006

Hail Britannia

I just want to say that I have very little faith that the Bush guvermnt is protecting us, the American people. And although Tony Blair is Bush's lap dog, I have to say I still hold him in high esteem, for his ability to hold his own at Parliament every week (imagine Bush facing the Congress!). Also, I remember Blair's words of comfort after the September 11 attacks, real, intelligent comforting words full of resolve, (compared to Bush's "let's git 'em" bs).

Who is defending liberty and the western way of life? The British. The Americans are too busy not understanding that the Afgans and the Iraqis are not interested in being American. Yes, British law enforcement may not be as constrained as American law enforcement is supposed to be (but is not because of the Patriot Act) but I just trust the British more to guarantee civil liberties I just do. Maybe Americans have the ACLU, but shit, we also have Guantanamo Bay. We have people in the White House who think torture is acceptable and habeas corpus is an inconvenience.

No one is going to accuse the Republican government that they "hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." Sure, these words apply to rich white guys, but not to the people who pick their vegetables, or muslims, or anyone who may be standing in the way of rich white guys getting richer.

I have to do my homework now, no more time to work on this entry. I just want to say that the British are representing. I'm glad they didn't become victims to the liquid bombers.

No comments: