Thursday, February 09, 2006

I <3 Italian Class



I just got back from a great Italian class. It's too bad A was home sick, because she would have cracked up.

There's a woman in our class who is always very trendily dressed who is going through a divorce after 28 years of marriage... she speaks English all the time, and even asks us to tell her stuff in English. We'll call her G.

Since A wasn't in class, I wanted to take a picture of G's outfit, which is usually more flamboyant. As soon as she walked in, our prof commented on her boots, and I just said, "I'm taking a picture!"

So, yes, they are some kind of spotted animal skin (complete with hair) but pink somehow. There is a matchy pink t-shirt brown sweater combination to complete the outfit, and she wasn't wearing her silver armor today.

G, as always, said a bunch of funny things... I wish I had written them down. L is back from Hawaii, I asked her if she ate poi (yes, on a hamburger) and if she saw a luau (from a distance) and if she hula'd (no). She said another one of her funny 'come si dice' things (i.e., how do you say "slurring of speech?") but I don't remember it.

Anyway, we talked about all the things A liked to talk about; the reading, a funny joke, italian priests and their 'vow' of chastity, different kinds of hair, Brokeback Mountain, Junebug, Pride & Prejudice, Colin Firth, Matchpoint, the Olympics, L's Japanese neighbor, wind storms; Olympic cities like Beijing, Athens, Atlanta; wild dogs.... fun fun fun. I remember, L cracked up when I forgot the verb for to get married so I just sang the first four notes of the Wedding March. She said sposarsi and then doubled over in laughter for a while.

words I learned: il barbiere (the barber) stirarsi (to shoot one's self) il phone/il fon (hairdrier!) la ballena (the whale) inghiottire (to swallow) insapore (bland) il trailer (movie trailer) copione (screenplay) delluso (disappointed) battute (lines of an actor/screenplay) vangare (to till) la vanga (the shovel) sconsigliare (to not recommend) Pechino (Beijing)

Oh, what a great class. Next time I will write down the crazy stuff that people say.

______________

Blurbs:

  • Olympics start tomorrow; that's what I'll be doing for the next 16 days or whatever.
  • Work is ok; didn't teach much this week... missing class due to retreat, in-service, and another retreat.
  • Tomorrow is all about making Faculty Idol happen.
  • I've been suffering in the last two days from a plague of hangnails.
  • I'm looking forward to cleaning the kitchen, vacuuming, laundry, and changing the sheets
  • I usually get less than 30 hits a day, but after You Get 'Em! Notable Asians I saw a huge spike in hits; was it something I linked?

2 comments:

Micaela said...

you might have gotten a spike in hits because it counted every time someone came back to your page to check the next link...?

jp 吉平 said...

No, I have it set to only count unique hits; one per browser session.