Saturday, February 25, 2006

As� se hace


I heard about Nuestro barrio on NPR. It's your standard Spanish language telenovela, with melodrama, forbidden love, perhaps amnesia and evil twins, yo que s�. But the creators of Nuestro barrio have distinguished themselves by including sub plots about financial literacy, something they don�t teach you about in citizenship class.

I wonder what my life would be like now if my ethnic community had been more financially literate sooner... if we had known how to borrow, invest, etc. back then. For so many, the American Dream means getting here, working hard, and saving money. This is, of course, is a great start, but it�s only half the picture.

No, I�m not going to watch it. But I�m glad for their sake that they�re talking about money.

No comments: