Sunday, July 03, 2005

Whites are hanging. Colors in the wash still. Student S will move in here for a week. Student P, l gave three techniques to her 1) act like you're really interested in food; 2) do the blue book with the family; 3) organize shopping together. We'll see.

The sun here is bright and clear; warm and dry. At the host family's place, I stay inside the stone house with the shutters shut; it keeps the cool air in. If it's windy, I'll go outsde.

Yesterday, when we went back to the clarinet dude, being in town felt like being under a lens. There was a couple dudes in tiny French muscle cars who were honking and yelling at each other on the Cours Mirabeau; the funniest part was that they were blasting "I'm so excited" by the Pointer Sisters. I tried to explain in, but I believe the non-toughness of the Pointer Sisters is culture specific.

V and D are trying to build a house; we know what that's like. What's interesting is when V points out details; details that are totally lost on me. Fancy stone portals, old looking facade, stone tiles or terra cotta, iron work.... Sure, the craftsmanship is fine and fancy, but it's something that would never never never entered my cultural filter.

C is a big fan of Mariah Carey's "I Can't Live" and Mariah Carey in general, I think. I'm more of a Whitney Houston fan myself.

No comments: