Sunday, February 06, 2005

Seattle Susherias

I'm the only one who says "susheria," and the only reason I say it is because when I was in Mexico, I asked if it was a word, and they lauged at me.

Our all-time favorite place is Mushashi, it's a sushi cafe with a short menu, but consistently good sushi, and cheaper than you think is fair. They use Niko Niko rice, which is the rice we grew up on. They have the best (and cheapest) teriyaki in town, but it's hard to bring yourself to order it, sometimes, because the sushi is so good. Uppity, clueless folks don't like Musashi because it doesn't give you a snooty 'dining experience.' The place is always packed, and it's one of the few places where I will consent to waiting for a table.

Their fish is always sliced on the generous side, and we tend to not like other places just because we've become accustomed to Musashi's slice-to-rice ratio. The chef de cuisine's name is M, and she works her ass off filling orders behind the counter, and she is always sighing and lamenting in between speed-rolling. Don't worry, it's just her thing. Don't forget to yell "thank you!" as you leave.

Wasabi Bistro is a fusion pile of crap. Sloppy, fussy, overpriced, and the rolls fall apart. I Love Sushi is better, but it bothers me that they present things in groups of three and four. Whoops, not very Japanese.

Fuji in the ID feels like a little slice of sophisticated Tokyo. I will be going again. Unlike Mushashi, it has the full menu.

Maneki is the secret Asian hot spot in the ID. Haven't gone yet. Soon.

There are tons of other places in this town, especially in Belltown, but I feel like they're all overpriced.

1 comment:

bitchphd said...

I always preferred Hana to Musashi.

I sent yesterday's post to my boyfriend, who used to own a fusion-type restaurant. He said "ouch." ;)