Saturday, January 15, 2005

I'm up early this morning; took H to work. It is a winter day in Seattle. The air is crisp and cold like biting a fresh apple. The sky is clean and clear, and mountains are visible to the east and west, as is Rainier to the south. In weather like this, I feel like eating a big bowl of shellfish and slupring the broth from the bowl. My grandmother used to say that slurping broth was behaving like the mountain people. She also used to say that about dipping cookies into your beverage.

It doesn't matter. I can't afford a bowl of shellfish! The best I can do is a bowl of reheated rice and some lil' smokies left over from last night.

Sci-fi night was funny. Our goal was to watch Star Trek Enterprise and then Battlestar Galactica: the new series. Given the entertainment, I did not try to outclass myself with the snacks. Two bags of potato chips, Tim's of course, regular and wasabi. Gala apples. Boiled shrimp served with cocktail sauce and neufchatel on a ritz cracker. I boiled and peeled the shrimp myself, because duh, but I'm considering buying the pre-peeled shrimp next time I do this. There was also a blackberry pie.

Dinner, before the guests came, was steamed rice, li'l smokies, and diced kamatis. Classy!

So T and M came over, as did A and H, who came bearing mochi ice cream dessert, coffee flavor, and half pint of red bean ice cream. The mochi balls were perfect little bites of extasy.

So we watched half of the Enterprise episode; that got too boring, so we turned it to the hype surrounding the BG series premier. M, A, and I all remember the old series. M was very vocal about hating the new series, but he seemed to be taken by the visuals. A had missed the miniseries, so we had to do some explaining, for his benefit, and also for H who was not that excited about being at a geek night.

Anyway, we watched it, and M and I were both a little bored--not enough space battles, too much administration drama. H, on the otherhand, was intrigued.

I gave final exams yesterday; grades are due Thursday. I don't want to grade.

No comments: