Tuesday, January 11, 2005

I came home from work late; picked up H, stopped at the store. Bought some eggplant; I'll roast them later, then mix them with sliced tomatoes.

Anway, I didn't get home until after seven, took care of some personal needs and then hit the road again to find some dinner. I ended up three blocks from my house at El Asadero, which is a taco bus. People call it a 'roach coach' but I've never seen a roach in the Pacific Northwest. Supposedly we have some.

Anyway, I got two tacos de pollo and two tacos de carne asada, one tamal, and a jarritos. It was six bucks and some change. The tortillitas were soft and fresh; they tasted like bright corn sunshine. The meat was saucy and delicious, maybe a little saucier than what I was used to in central Mexico. The only way I would have improved on the meat would have been to let it brown a little on the grill, like when H and I went to visit D in Chicago and we had three lunches.

Anyway, taco bus is delicious. There's all sorts of taco vehicles on Rainier Avenue South and Martin Luther King Jr. Way South. I'm also a fan of the taco truck in downtown Columbia City, but since it's only a truck, there's no indoor seating. They do have horchata, though, which is a plus.

Seattle is a long, skinny city. It's shaped like an hour glass, with significant body's of water keeping it slim. I've lived in the UDistrict and Wallingford, which are both north of the Ship Canal. I lived for three years on the north side of Capitol Hill, which was great. I've also lived in Rainier Beach, and now I live Mt. Baker/Columbia City, which is definately the south side.

The point is this; people that live north of the Ship Canal have no idea that there is authentic Mexican food in Seattle. Students of mine show up at school after a year of college and tell me, yah, you can't get real Mexican food in Seattle, yuh just can't; and then they procede to brag to me about how there's great Mexican food everywhere but here. I've even had someone tell me that there are no Mexican people in Seattle, which is ridiculous; if you're eating hot food in Seattle, a Mexican probably cooked it.

So what's the deal with the north-Seattlites who can't find a taco? I don't know, I'm not responsible for them. There are very few people I know who can find their way around the whole city. It's really too bad; there's good food in most neighborhoods. And most of it is cheap.

2 comments:

Delia Christina said...

yeah. it's the same thing in chicago. people complain you can't find really good mexican food here.

and i say - uh, go to pilsen. or - go to the west side.

but chicago's ethnic neighborhoods only scare people from the suburbs. we have great indian, middle eastern, filipino! and korean food. and apparently there are some really really good vietnamese places.

but i don't like vietnamese food. i had a bad thing with tripe once. yick. tripe.

Anonymous said...

Right. It's like those New York transplants in LA who complain that there's no good Chinese food in LA. As if!