Saturday, April 22, 2006

Emergency Food Kit

My mama recommended to H and I that we make Emergency Food Kits for our cars, using one of the many banunans (lunch containers) I have lying around the house.  This EFK serves in the event that we get stuck in the car with dangerously low blood sugar, far from sources of food or water.   I know most people would make an emergency first aid kit, or an emergency disaster kit... but in my family what we're really worried about is when plunging blood sugar levels make me violent. 
 
Like that time my dad drove us around Vancouver, and we didn't have lunch until 4pm.  I was so angry I couldn't see. 
 
Anyway, my EFK contains:
  • 2 bottles of water
  • 6 granola bars (apple crisp flavored)
  • 1 ziplock baggie of dry roasted peanuts
  • 1 big bag of pepper beef jerky
It's kinda fun.  I'm actually looking forward to my next food emergency!  Mmm, beef jerky. 
 
It makes me think that I should prepare a disaster pantry in case of a siege or something.  The Red Cross has a packet with a list of emergency foods that is about as exciting as rubber cement.  I can't help feeling that in prolonged emergency food situation, the whiter neighborhoods are going to be in big trouble, while my neighborhood, on the other hand, could probably go for weeks on the spam and rice we have in the house anyway.  I guess we don't have to worry about the white folk, though, since they'd probably get evacuated. 

No comments: