Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Day of Service

Today instead of classes, we had our annual Day of Service; the entire school went to Seattle parks to remove English Ivy, which is an invasive, non-native species that chokes entire forests.

Les eleves avec qui je travaillais ne servaient rien.

I went to Seward Park. Afterwards, there was a BBQ on the plaza. Standard American BBQ food is lame; bulk hot dogs, frozen hamburger pucks, white bread, chips . . . It must be about the ritual act of grilling at this point, because gringos have taken so many shortcuts, it can't possibly still be about the food.

Anyway, I came home, and got a call from A, who was in town to visit. Met him and P in the ID, then drove home and picked them up again after they dropped of their car. We showed A the UW, Gasworks, the Locks, then went to Shilla for Korean food.

P ordered bulgogi; A ordered kimchee stew; I ordered sashimi bibimpab and some naeng myun to share. We had a spunky waitress who yelled at me for letting the naeng myun get lonely while I ate my shirashi. We all overate and had a great time.

Then we went to get tea, but the Panama Hotel is closed for the day because the city is working on the street. So instead, we went to the Gossip, which does not have real tea. We sat there for a while until they kicked us out, and then I drove them back to P's house. I had to get gas, so they said, get gas first! just so we could keep hanging out.

Now I'm back home, and my sister's plane lands in an hour. it's too late and I have a 7:45 class, but I'm going to clean up the living room and then go pick her up.

I'm thinking about spending the summer of 2006 in the Philipines with AFAP. More to come.

No comments: