Thursday, August 05, 2004

Hi everyone, it's been a long time since I've posted. It's hot today, but I don't really notice.

Today I showed up for class at 2pm; the waiter told me I was the first to arrive . . . since the class didn't start until 4pm. Whoops.

Today I bought some more gifts for myself. I also had Fernando make me a cacao.

Last night I let J talk me into meeting them at a bar. We went to Rick's Bar, which was noisy, but had cheap cuba libres. Then we crawled to el Mono Loco, where cuba libres were two for one, and there was a drawing for a free beer with each purchase of cuba libre. I drew "quiz", and answered the question correctly ("the Manhattan Project") which got me a Gallito. J proceeded to win the caption contest; he used his 50Q voucher to buy a round for everyone at the bar. I got critical acclaim for my limerick entry in the poetry contest, but not the popular vote. Then we crawled to the Casbah, where a guy was either hitting on me or trying to pick a fight. I just put my hands up and said "ok!" and he left me alone. I walked home with my keys between my fingers.

There seems to be a shortage of comfortable furniture in Guatemala. Everything seems geared toward either ease of storage, low cost, and/or proper posture.

I finally managed to pay all my mortgages over the phone. I found out that online payment wasn't working because every week it seems, they sell my account to someone else. It's got to be a scam.

I owe the lavandera 10Q.

No comments: